Tuesday, November 15, 2011

#SAGradHunt & New Opportunities

Hello --

Happy almost turkey day, or for those of us in the Western Region of NASPA...happy almost #naspawr11 in San Diego! So there have definitely been some changes since I last spoke about my graduate school list. Shortly after creating that list I became engaged in conversation on Twitter with other Student Affairs hopefuls like myself, on the search for the perfect program for them. Utilizing the hash tag #SAGradHunt we are able to communicate about the processes and steps we are taking. It's been really great to have NASPA hold these conversations, as it introduces you to others who may one day be in your cohort. My graduate schools have only changed slightly since I last gave you list, first of all I had left one off, and secondly, I now have removed one. Basically, I'm still at five schools.

Officially I present to you to the programs that have made the Ashley cut:
1) New York University
2) Colorado State University
3) University of Vermont
4) Rutgers University
5) Michigan State University

I have also finally asked for my letters of recommendation, but still have one more to ask for since NYU needs two from a faculty and I just found that piece of information last night on the website.

I also have great news! The job hunt has finally ended after a two-month stint of applying constantly everyday. I have moved to Simi Valley, CA just outside my undergrad institution of CLU and I actually work at CLU. Great little resume builder in line with higher education if you ask me. I'm now the Administrative Assistant for Grants & Special Projects in the Graduate School of Education. Basically it's a really fancy name for helping develop all what the School of Ed stated when they applied for the grant money. Definitely a big girl job, mind you I base that on the following: my business cards, office name tag, set of keys, phone extension, and the huge 23' mac desktop I have. Oh and my OWN printer. What up!! (joke, I don't think I'm that cool). Anyways, it is definitely going to be a great learning experience to work with other supervisors outside of Student Life, especially since I was spoiled and worked with the same person and people for four years (minus my Semester at Sea staff). Well, I promise I'll get to blogging more!

I'm sure I'll have a handful of things to talk about while I'm at NASPA Western Regional 2011 in San Diego, CA starting Thursday. I'm so excited to meet with lots of people and a tad nervous! More importantly I'm excited to reunite with one of our NODA interns, Steven Wong from this summer. He is finishing his second year in Oregon State's program. He's flying in to LAX so he can come see the Transfer PAs he worked with all summer and the SOCs of course! I'm so excited, seriously though, I am! I love San Diego, and I love Student Affairs, talk about putting two great things together!

Last but not least -- the SOC applications came out yesterday, can't believe it is already time for somone to take over my job, tear! Either way, I wish them all the best of luck! Follow me on Twitter, as that has a lot more updates and conversation on Student Affairs from the future professional prospective. Especially one who comes from a small liberal arts school and is looking at larger universities. Watch the change!

Much Love
A-Ram.

No comments:

Post a Comment